Vanity Fair had to make a small correction to their recent Chelsea Clinton profile. Relatedly, check out our big piece on how facts do (or often don’t) get checked at your favorite magazines and radio shows.
This must’ve been one heckuva correction to have to write. No knock on interior designers (some of my best friends are interior designers) but to mix up the interior designer with an assistant secretary in the State Department is a pretty big one.
But, none of us are perfect, so here are the a few corrections run or considered to right the wrongs in articles bearing my name:
- Biggest one?: Covering a huge air show for The Daily Hampshire Gazette, I referred to the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds as the Blue Angels, which we all know is the flying group of the U.S. Navy. And if you didn’t know that, I have a few dozen angry emails and letters that will set you straight.
I think they should join forces and become the Blue Thunderbirds.
- In reporting a story for The Pittsfield Gazette I used the word reign when I should’ve used the word rein. Whoa Nelly!
- The same woman who wrote in to point out the rein/reign mistake also pointed it out when I referred to Roman Catholic churches as ‘yolking’ as opposed to ‘yoking’. We titled that correction “Egg on our face”. I bear no ill will to this grammarian in our readership. She was once my neighbour. She and her husband gave my parents a lovely porch swing.
- I swapped pronouns accidentally once at The Pittsfield Gazette, and wrote ‘he’ where it should have said ‘she’, but we didn’t end up correcting that because it was only once in a long article. Snuck by on that one, but clearly I’ve carried it around with me in the decade since.
A few months later I was copy editing a piece for The Massachusetts Daily Collegian on the first transgendered bathroom being put in place at UMass-Amherst. I felt that editing challenge was karmic revenge because in a story featuring the often-misunderstood transgendered community, the appropriate pronouns are not always the obvious ones.
- My favourite correction is one that never had to be run. When I was writing obituaries at The Daily Hampshire Gazette I got a call one morning complaining about an obituary that had run the day prior, and the caller was demanding a correction. I had listed a surviving sister of the deceased that had not been included in the original information from the family. The funeral home had called in the addition, which was protocol. Here is a fairly accurate portrayal of that phone conversation, with pseudonyms included:
Scott: So, is *Nancy* not *Jane’s* sister.
Complainant: Not exactly.
Scott: So she is her sister?
Complainant: Um. Yes.
Scott: Oh, I listed her as surviving. Is she deceased?
Complainant: Um. No.
Complainant: Well, she’s alive. And she’s her sister. But we don’t like her.
Scott: Oh. Well I’m not sure there’s much we can do about that.
Complainant: Yeah, I suppose there isn’t. *hangs up*
So that’s my corrections run-down. Minor or major, they’re a big part of journalism – correcting your mistakes, that is – and certainly something to accept. The fight to never be corrected is futile, but I suppose if it makes you more attentive, then the correction has served its purpose.
- yourinsidesxrayed reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- mymarketingfile likes this
- meganannedear likes this
- blackcappedchickadee reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- stuffmymonkey2 reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- yourinsidesxrayed likes this
- supersexy-cool likes this
- sweetlittlemoon likes this
- shortcake7502 likes this
- seriouslyamerica reblogged this from onthemedia
- esosique reblogged this from onthemedia
- kswertfager likes this
- mykol78 likes this
- gininthelibrary reblogged this from onthemedia
- sarahlee310 likes this
- lphoenixx likes this
- wo-le likes this
- merelywires reblogged this from journo-geekery and added:
- catecauguiran reblogged this from journo-geekery
- mistygeek reblogged this from onthemedia
- hellbox likes this
- oneiloveyouisnotworthanything reblogged this from journo-geekery
- aboriginalnewswire reblogged this from onthemedia
- tolstoymuseum likes this
- kijikun reblogged this from onthemedia
- symphonicflower likes this
- dementhor reblogged this from onthemedia
- coin-lee likes this
- barticles reblogged this from onthemedia and added:
- juakianako reblogged this from journo-geekery
- barticles likes this
- juakianako likes this
- kijikun likes this
- bigfatphallusy likes this
- notoriouslig reblogged this from journo-geekery
- detectiveagency reblogged this from journo-geekery
- theamericanbear likes this
- paperandparticles likes this
- semiboldforever reblogged this from onthemedia
- kyrauff reblogged this from journo-geekery and added:
- nickturse reblogged this from onthemedia
- rachelfershleiser likes this
- ballgunn likes this
- nickturse likes this
- cleofuckingpatra reblogged this from seldridge and added:
- ohrochester likes this
- seldridge reblogged this from onthemedia and added:
- hiareeya likes this
- mediagirl reblogged this from journo-geekery